An Interesting Solution to an Old Problem

This weekend, I came up with an interesting solution to an old problem and I’m having a good time implementing it.  I have to send in a 10,000 word excerpt from my novel-in-progress, Obscenity, to apply for a fellowship, and I don’t know what 10,000 words to choose.  So what I’ve decided to do is stitch together some of the best parts (of what I have written so far) breaking it into short, choppy chapters that jump around in time and changes narrators frequently, stitched together by fragments of exposition from what used to be the prologue.

I’m calling it my “Quick Cut” for the novel’s prologue and first three chapters — normally about sixty pages, cut down to thirty — but it’s turning out better than just a clever way to excerpt.  I really like the new way the story is organized and I’m considering applying this experiment to the entire novel once I’m a little further along.  When I described it to my roomie, she said it sounded like The Blind Assassin, which has been on my reading list since I went to a Margaret Atwood reading in the fall, so I started it last night.

It is really nice to feel this inspired to write.  Because of a crazy time at work, I wasn’t able to get much done in the fall.  My New Year’s Resolution has been to write a little bit each day and I have mainly kept to it, but I have been wondering when this constant movement forward might translate into some actual momentum.  Fingers crossed, yesterday may have been the start of something!

Advertisements

One thought on “An Interesting Solution to an Old Problem

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s